Jul 6, 2014

"Escalator rule" in Tokyo

2014/07/06
When you step on an escalator, which side do you stand on?
Right side or left side ?

In Tokyo, people stand on the left side of a escalator.
And we need to make space on the right side for the persons who climb up the escalator,

Such as:.
Basically, in the east part of Japan including Tokyo "Stand on the left side rule" is applied.
On the other hand, in the west part of Japan including Osaka "Stand on the right side rule" is applied.
I wonder where is the border of these two rules.

According to my experience, other world's cities have the rules below.
・Hongkong : Stand on the Right Side rule
・Germany : Stand on the Right Side rule

When I went to Berlin, Germany last year, I stood on the left side of the escalator as usual in Tokyo.
I was told off by a Germany old man, "Stand on the right side !".

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
When in Tokyo, do as the Tokyo citizens do.

Have a nice trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment